At LJ’s Kitchens & Interiors, we’ve designed hundreds of master bathrooms for homeowners around Michigan, but one of the key elements of any master or family bathroom is the shower. Do not underestimate the importance of getting your shower right. Ever use a hotel shower that wasn’t up to your standards? It’s not very comfortable, is it?
When designing home showers for our clients, we consider several key design elements: the construction material of the shower walls, the shower head, storage opportunities, and accessibility.
Shower Wall Materials
Showers will always be placed against the wall or into a corner, but the actual walls of the shower can be made from various materials. The most common materials we see in use are acrylics, ceramic tiles or natural stone.
- Acrylic or fiberglass showers are lightweight, cost-effective, and are often sold as one-piece prefabricated units. Their seamless nature can mean fewer leaks, but they might not have the same aesthetic appeal as tiles or natural stone.
- Tiles come in many different shapes, sizes and colors. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are favorites due to their durability and water resistance.
- Natural stone showers can be incredibly beautiful but do include a premium price tag. Materials like slate, granite, or marble can make stunning, unique walls but need sealing to prevent water absorption.
This shower project combined natural stone and aesthetic tiles!
Even tiled shower walls present options for aesthetic beauty.
Shower Head Selection
Your choice of shower head will greatly determine the kind of showering experience you have. Again, think of those uncomfortable hotel showers – you know you want the right pressure, good coverage, and potentially a shower head with variable spray options.
- Rain Shower Heads: These provide a gentle rainfall-like experience. They’re typically larger and are positioned directly overhead.
- Handheld Shower Heads: Attached to a flexible hose, they’re versatile and great for those who need mobility, like washing kids or pets.
- High-Pressure Jets: For those who crave a massage-like experience, these are a perfect choice.
- Low-Flow Showerheads: With growing environmental concerns, many opt for low-flow shower heads that conserve water without compromising on the shower experience.
Shower heads come in all shapes and sizes!
Shower Storage Space
Depending on how big your family is, you may store a LOT of shampoos and conditioners within your shower! Our designers are always sure to ask about your typical shower needs before we help recommend the best storage solution for your shower.
- Built-in Niches: These recessed shelves are a permanent solution, allowing you to store shampoo, conditioner, and body wash without encroaching on your shower space.
- Corner Shelves: Usually triangular, these fit neatly into the shower’s corners, made from materials like glass, ceramic, or stainless steel.
- Hanging Organizers: These can be hung over the showerhead or attached to the wall and are great for renters or those looking for a quick solution
Examples of corner shelves and built-in niches.
Getting in and out of your shower should never be a physical hassle, especially for older homeowners. Showers can be built to all sorts of heights, with some modern ones not even requiring a step-up at all!
- Handrails: Even if you need to step into your shower, support handrails can be added to provide extra support and stability.
- Seating: A built-in bench or a standalone shower seat can enhance comfort, especially for extended showers or for those who cannot stand for long.
- Non-Slip Tiles are an option for homeowners who may be at more risk of slipping and falling.
This shower has it all, including a bench!
Let LJ’s Help Design Your New Shower!
Designing a comfortable home shower goes beyond aesthetics. It’s about creating an environment tailored to your personal preferences and needs. Whether you’re looking for a quick refresh or a luxurious escape, the right choices can make all the difference. Don’t plan alone! Plan with the professional designers at LJ’s! You can always come see more shower design options in our showroom!